Who would like to experience God’s everywhere-blessing on their lives? Within? In key relationships? In our impact on others? In our city and church? Upon subsequent generations through our lives? It all begins with the fear of the Lord.
That is the theory of this song. Do you believe it? The pilgrim does.
Theme: To wonder at God leads to a walk with God, which leads to everywhere-blessing.
This is a wisdom psalm. It deals with the life of blessing, a repeated concept within the song.
Wonder At Him (Psalm 128:1)
1 Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in his ways!
Fears the Lord: It is a fear conjoined with love and hope, and is therefore not a slavish dread, but rather filial reverence. (Easton’s Bible Dictionary)
- Synonyms: reverence, respect, honor, esteem, or awe.
- Define: To fear God is to stand in awe of His righteousness, majesty, and power and to trust Him by humbly depending upon Him.
Jesus taught unpacked this attitude/position:
- Matthew 5:3 (ESV)—3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Definition: an acknowledgement, continually, of spiritual poverty before God.
- David: 2 Samuel 7:18 (ESV) — 18 Then King David went in and sat before the Lord and said, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?
- Isaiah — Isaiah 6:5 (ESV) — 5 And I said: “Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!”
- John — Revelation 1:17 (ESV) — 17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead….
- Matthew 5:4 (ESV)—4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
- Definition: a sorrow, continually, regarding sin within us.
- Matthew 5:5 (ESV)—5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
- Definition: a gentle and self-controlled spirit toward others.
- Matthew 5:6 (ESV)—6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
- Definition: a strong and fervent desire, continually, for an increase of personal and practical righteousness within.
- Matthew 5:7 (ESV)—7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
- Definition: A lifestyle of compassionate love towards those who need it, including those who we need to forgive.
- Matthew 5:8 (ESV)—8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
- Definition: An inner decision for God, without the presence of competing desires, continually, which leads to a purity of life.
- Matthew 5:9 (ESV)—9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
- Definition: a person who works to bring peace between people and God, but also between people and other people.
- Matthew 5:10 (ESV)—10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Definition: A person who lives rightly before God, but who is hated, despised, and rejected by some because of that style of life.
Do you see the progress? Do not lose your awe, your wonder, your fear of God!
Blessed Within You (Psalm 128:2)
2 You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you.
The Holy Spirit within us:
- 1 The law of the Spirit to fulfill God’s law in us (Romans 8:2-4).
- 2 The indwelling of the Spirit to create Spirit-mode (Romans 8:5-11).
- 3 The leading of the Spirit to kill the flesh (Romans 8:12-13).
- 4 The Spirit of adoption (Romans 8:14-17).
- 5 The hope of redemption is fueled by the firstfruits of the Spirit (Romans 8:18-25).
- 6 The help of the Spirit to pray for what is best for us (Romans 8:26-28).
- 7 The help of the Spirit to conform us to Christ (Romans 8:29-30).
Blessed Beside You (Psalm 128:3a)
3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.
Marital — Husband vs. Wife
Gender — Male vs. Female
Race — Jew vs. Gentile
Class — Rich vs. Poor
Status — Free vs. Slave
Blessed Behind You (Psalm 128:3b-4)
3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table. 4 Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord.
People who are effective with the next generation:
- 1 Humility: listening, not condescending.
- 2 Love: patience, understanding, grace, interest.
- 3 Faith: they see something in them, they take risks with them.
Blessed Around You (Psalm 128:5)
5 The Lord bless you from Zion! May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life!
Israel was also seen as a vineyard (Isaiah 5) and an olive tree (Romans 11).
The home and Jerusalem went together. Your walk and your church go together. They are to compliment each other.
People who fear God bless the city and church around them. They make a positive impact on the congregation. Not because they “have it all together” but because even though they don’t they have a deep love for God.
Blessed Beyond You (Psalm 128:6)
6 May you see your children’s children! Peace be upon Israel!
See your children’s children: Offspring. Beyond. Going beyond. The fruit of my fruit. My fruit’s fruit. This is where it gets fun.
I hope you noticed how this blessed life works — it is a life of giving, for it is more blessed to give than to receive. While much of the world takes (and thinks a blessing is found there), Christianity gives.